Reddit user FlapSnapple revealed some details about the launch of the Nintendo NX. Reddit has done their bet to validate these details:
Wait, what's happening?
So as some of you know, we have this little blurb in the sidebar.
If you have sensitive or privileged information you would like to provide to the community, send it to the mod team. We will review it and if we feel there is sufficient proof to validate the information, we will post it on your behalf to protect your identity.
Well, for the first time in a very long time, someone has meet our requirements and provided what we feel to be sufficient proof.
We have done our best to confirm this individual's identity and we feel pretty confident about it. However, someone who is determined enough can fake damn near anything as evidenced by that 3D printed controller hoax from a while back. As always, make sure to take everything we're about to post with a grain of salt.
We have verified that our source works for a very large retailer. We have verified that this source is in a position to have access to this sort of information. Exact details of what was provided will not be released. We take protecting the identity of our sources very seriously. Our source has added the disclaimer that this is all initial information and subject to change as time goes on.
Note: As part of our responsible leaking policies, we will be re-writing the information we have been provided in our own words in the off chance that the specific verbiage used could help track down our sources identity. I have asked our source to monitor this post to make sure that the content we have re-written on their behalf is still accurate. There may be small edits or corrections as a result.
- "Interact with your game on the go." phrase seen on a poster.
- Strong co-branding effort with a Mario launch title on many posters.
- Console is currently set to launch with least 4 titles on deck.
- Stores should be receiving demo units around February.
- Base price point seems to be sitting at $299.99
- The NX is currently set to have a bundle option.
- The contents of this bundle is currently unknown.
- Bundle price is currently sitting at $399.99
- The packaging for the NX will be slightly larger than the Wii U's packaging.
- The packaging is relatively clean and simple and is similar to the Wii U in terms of package design.
- The color scheme for the packaging is white and blue (compared to the Wii U's blue and black).
- The packaging still says "NX" however there is still no indication if this is a placeholder or the final name.
- The areas of the packaging that would usually depict the hardware were blurred and redacted by Nintendo in attempt to keep it hidden.
Features and Specs
- Games will be on cartridges - Information from another source leads us to believe that these will be about the size of a Compact Flash cards and will be in 32GB and 64GB variants. Even though this may seem low, the system reportedly contains a dedicated processor just for decompressing the card data. Best case scenario is ~100GB compressed into a 64GB cartridge, however real world usage pegs it at closer to ~85GB on a 64GB cartridge. Level based games and games with load screens will compress better than open-world style games. Edit: This secondary source (who had not yet completed verification) has been busted.
- 4k streaming has been mentioned. - What this likely means is playback of content such as Netflix, etc. Not gameplay.
- 1080p and 60fps are being used by the marketing teams in relation to gameplay on to the console portion. I've heard unconfirmed rumblings of 900p for the infamous hybrid part of the device.
We are currently sitting on more information from various other sources, however since they have either stopped responding to our messages or have not met our verification standards their information is not displayed here.
I'm also tethered to my phone since power/internet is on the fritz on account of the whole hurricane thing, so responses may be slow/limited until things stabilize a bit.
Thanks for being patient and hanging with us.